Saturday, January 24, 2009

A Long Sad Post

This post is a going to be a bit sad. Recently I started working with the youth in our ward. This is a first for me and was a little bit scary. I realized very quickly that is was actually a huge blast. You know the kids I have gotten to know are pretty special. Most all the kids are smart, hardworking, and generally fun to be around. In this last month we had a special activity for New Years. This activity was on January 30th, and went for several hours. During this time I was in the kitchen for a bit preparing the desert along with a couple other leaders. One young man, named Tanner, came in to help. This young man is remarkable. The kind of boy you want your daughters to marry and you hope your sons follow in his footsteps. Tanner graduated from high school early and went to college at the age of 16. During this desert making time I spoke with this young man. I asked about plans and goals. What did he want to be. Where was his dream location to serve his mission. Was it hard to find girls to date at school because everyone was older then him. That night I came home and told Charlie about this fine young man. I told him how I truly wished that Chad would become such a fine young man one day.


Three mornings ago as I sent my children off to school. I watched from the doorway as they walked down the street I heard sirens. We live in a very small town, chances are this would be someone I would know who was in need of help. I hate the sound of sirens! A couple hours later I received the call. Tanner was rushed by ambulance to the hospital. He was struggling to breath, with a oxygen saturation level of 65%. This is very low. When Morgan had pneumonia her saturation level was 90% and they said that if it did not go up to 91% the next she would be hospitalized. Tanner was beyond dangerous. They took him to the closest hospital. They in turn life flighted him to Primary Children's hospital. Tanner was unconscious by this time. He never regained consciousness. This young man was amazing. He died of Strep. A type of Strep that had quickly swept through his body.


I am shocked by how deeply I am saddened by these events. I feel such sincere sorrow for his family. I am so very sad that our ward has lost such an incredible young man. This world sure needs young men like Tanner. You always wonder why in times like this. I don't know why, but I do know that Heavenly Father loves us and truly knows what is best. I have faith that we will be forever with our families. I look forward to the day of our resurrection and we can be reunited with loved ones. Both friends and families.

Most of all I am reminded to hug my kids a little longer. To go ahead and read that book to Morgan. To play the Wii with Chad. To listen to their silly jokes. To be more patient. It could all be robbed from us in the blink of an eye.

I really hate the sound of sirens.

4 comments:

My name is Andrea said...

Who is he?

My name is Andrea said...

Wow, makes you stop and think. I am so sorry for the family, and for your neighborhood. Ours just lost a child last month and it was and is very hard.

Everyday Sparkles said...

Very sad news. I will be praying for his family and all those who knew this beautiful boy. At times like these it is comforting to know that our families are forever.

Sara said...

heart wrenching!