Saturday, August 8, 2009

Can You Say Squash??

I have been forced to ask myself a question: What in the world can I do with all this zucchini? Last year we planted one plant and got ZERO zucchini! This year we planted 4 just to be safe. FYI if you plant a zucchini plant right in front of your compost bin you get ENORMOUS plants!!! With an abundant amount of squash!
This picture shows some of the baby squash!

While speaking with my very good friend, Sandy, who happens to live on a farm! OK not really but what do you call it when you have 10 chickens, a rooster, 3-4 ducks, 2 rabbits, a cat, a frog, and a SNAKE! Yes Sandy, I know about the snake, thanks for not asking me to feed that! GROSS!! AND an orchard with a huge successfully producing garden!
Is that not a farm?

Back to the conversation...what the heck to do with all this squash? Well you make zucchini pie she replies!! Okey Dokey, Sandy! It is so yummy!!! A huge hit! The original recipe was good on its own...but you know me! We can make it better! I will post both recipes! I promise your family will enjoy it!


Pretty huh??? This pie is with my additions!


A slice of the original recipe!




Zucchini Pie
preheat oven to 375
in a pie pan spread 1 container crescent rolls, making a crust of sorts, set aside
4 cups sliced zucchini
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 butter
melt butter in a large skillet, saute zucchini and onion until tender
to that add
1 tbls oregano
1/2 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
stir well and ten add to the skillet
2 cups mozzarella cheese
2 eggs, beaten
stir together and dump it in the pie pan!! Bake for 20 minutes then let sit for 10 more! Slice and eat.
For my variation:
Do it all the same, expect I caramelized the onions and zucchini a bit! AND added 1 garden fresh tomato chopped (yep that would be from my garden) and swiss instead or mozzarella! I swear it was even better! Honestly this will be a summer favorite for a long time to come!
And that's good because we have a ton of squash left!

2 comments:

The MacQueens said...

ooooo, that looks yummy! I just may have to try that. It's one of the only vegetables joseph will eat.:)

Sarah said...

I love zucchinni bread, plus I've seen some recipesfor fritters and cake that look really good. Hopefully you use it all up.